A Small French Trip Still Doing Big Things 

Katherine Bernier, Staff Writer

Note to readers: Due to the recently announced travel restrictions, this year’s trip to France was canceled. 

The semi-annual French trip is running a bit differently this year. Our sister city in France, Sucy-en-Brie, changed their coordinator last year–making it seem like the trip was not going to happen at all. However, SHS French teacher Jake Kovach felt bad and wanted to provide a trip for those interested, so he immediately began organizing the 2020 trip. 

The trip started differently than in years past. Usually, French students would come and stay in students’ houses in the fall. Instead of doing an exchange, French students from Sucy-en-Brie came to Scituate over the summer and stayed with various families in town. In turn, the French students will be hosting Scituate students in their homes, most of them meeting for the very first time in person! 

The six seniors going on the trip will be embarking on the Wednesday before April break and returning on Sunday before we go back to school. The students will be going into Paris while their hosts are at school, and they will also be spending two days in Normandy. They will be visiting landmarks in France such as the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, the D-Day beaches, and more.

The students have just started to prepare, and they are reaching out to their host families this week. In a few weeks, Mr. Kovach will be taking them to a French Restaurant in Boston so they can practice speaking and ordering in French. This year’s trip is a smaller group, but they will still be exploring amazing parts of France, and bringing back their experiences to Scituate.