Senior Tribute to the SHS Swim Team

SHS seniors prepare to say goodbye to their friends and teammates

Zoe Brodsky, Contributing Sports Writer

Being a student at SHS feels like a great honor, and once second semester is in full swing, many seniors start to realize this is their last stretch in high school. For the eleven seniors on the SHS swim team, saying goodbye to their final season together was difficult.

The feeling of satisfaction and sorrow floats in the air as seniors prepare for their goodbyes. For some seniors, it means leaving the team they belonged to for four years, while others say farewell to the 1st or 2nd-year friendships they made through SHS athletics. As seniors look back on the 2016-17 season, they recognize the team’s success, with five wins for the girls and seven wins for the boys’ team.

February 4th was the last SHS swim meet — the Patriot League swim meet — when the girls pulled away with fourth place overall, while the boys placed second. Senior captain Erin Crowell commented, “The team has become very unified this past season.” Crowell said this has been the closest swim team in her high school career. The swim team has become a family, not just the student athletes, but the coaches as well. The success of the season is also credited toward coach Lauren McGonagle and assistant coach Beth Rhodes. Both coaches influenced every one of the swimmers and helped build this winning team.

The success of the season is also credited to the coaching staff: coach Lauren McGonagle and assistant coach Beth Rhodes. Both coaches influenced every one of the swimmers and helped build this winning team.